Week 3 – Assignment
Dignity in Social Care
This assignment will use academic resources from the United Kingdom (UK) to help you to understand further the modern concept of ‘dignity’ in social care, a theoretical perspective developed in Europe, which is gaining traction in the United States. The resources are predominantly from the UK because of the advanced stage of ‘Dignity in Social Care’ concepts, largely due to more widespread and integrated social care systems in the UK and Europe. In the assignment, you will review the UK resources and then respond to the prompts for the body of your research paper, which will provide details for application of ‘Dignity in Social Care’ concepts in the US. While the concept is at an earlier stage in the US, there are resources in the Ashford Library which cover the US – be sure to seek these out using ProQuest to support your paper. To access the ProQuest database, click on the Journal Articles button on the library homepage. Select the ProQuest (Search All ProQuest Databases) link. To limit results to the U.S. try using United Sates as an additional search term, or you can use the location limiter on the left side of your search results page to filter your results to those pertaining to the U.S. [Be sure to present your paper according to the ‘Assignment requirements’ listed below.]
Step 1 – Review the Resources:
Anderson, L. (2008, Oct 22). Aging more complicated for gays; many fear discrimination in health care, social isolation and no family. The Province Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/269506746?accountid=32521
Kinnear, D., Williams, V., & Victor, C. (2014). The meaning of dignified care: An exploration of health and social care professionals’ perspectives working with older people. BMC Research Notes, 7 doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-7-854
Saltus, R., & Folkes, E. (2013). Understanding dignity and care: An exploratory qualitative study on the views of older people of african and african-caribbean descent. Quality in Ageing and Older Adults, 14(1), 36-46. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/14717791311311094
Dingell, D. (2015, Jul 12). Aging with dignity out of reach for many in America. Detroit Free Press. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1695502378?accountid=32521
UK-Based Multimedia for Dignity Factors [Only 4 listed here]
Dignity in care: Choice and control (Links to an external site.)
Dignity in care: Communication (Links to an external site.)
Dignity in care: Privacy (Links to an external site.)
Dignity in care: Social inclusion (Links to an external site.)
UK-Based Website [Includes Information and Resources on All Eight Dignity Factors]
Social Care Institute for Excellence. (2016). Eight dignity factors (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/guides/guide15/factors/index.asp
Step 2 – Recommendations for US Implementation
Assume that you work for an organization that runs a system of social care in your State. The system includes individual elder care homes as well as care managers supporting elder care in private homes. Your Director of Operations has asked you to prepare a research paper of what factors to consider when implementing the ‘Dignity in Social Care’ concepts. Be sure to:
· Explain what “Dignity in Social Care” is.
· Describe the eight Dignity Factors with at least one example.
· Describe how Dignity in Social Care concepts uniquely pertain to:
o Elders whom are LGBTQI
o Elders whom are Female
o Elders whom are Racially Diverse (for example: African American, Native American, etc.)
o Elders whom are Culturally Diverse (for example: Asians who are devout Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, etc.)
· Must be 4 to 6 double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and formatted according to APA style (Links to an external site.).
· Must include a title page (Links to an external site.) with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
· Must be presented in the traditional research paper format of:
o Title Page
o Introduction (Links to an external site.) with Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.)
o Body of Paper (covering provided assignment prompts)
o Conclusion (Links to an external site.)
o Reference List
· Must use the textbook and at least two scholarly sources. The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table (Links to an external site.) offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment. For help searching the library’s scholarly resources check out this Database Search Tips tutorial video (Links to an external site.). Be sure to integrate your research (Links to an external site.) rather than simply inserting it.
· Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Cite your sources in text and on a separate reference page. For more information please review the In-Text Citation Guide (Links to an external site.) and the APA References List. (Links to an external site.)
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.